The aim of the Association is to contribute to the development of university education by conducting investigation and research relating to physical education (which, in this pamphlet is taken to include health education and sports), supporting faculty development, and evaluating and commending activity in the field of physical education among our members.
The Council for University Physical Education and Sports (the predecessor of the Japanese Association of University Physical Education and Sports) was founded in 1952 to establish a program of research into physical education in university education and a structure for communication and cooperation between universities. This happened at a time when universities were being reorganized under the new educational system, which began in 1949 as a result of the educational reforms.
– In 1962, the name was modified to the Japanese Council for University Health and Physical Education.
– In 1971, an organizing committee was formed to set up the Japanese Association for University Physical Education and Sports.
– On October 4, 1973, the Japanese Association of University Physical Education and Sports was established.
– In 2012, Association was transformed into a Public Interest Incorporated Association.
We are engaged in the following projects to accomplish our aims in the proceeding session:
1. Investigation and research and funding related to physical education at university level.
2. Holding study groups, workshops, conferences and other events on physical education at university level.
3. Gathering and providing information and material on physical education at university level, both within the Association and externally.
4. Evaluating and commending physical education at university level.
5. Publishing bulletins, books, etc., on physical education at university level.
6. Promoting communication and cooperation among various groups related to physical education, both within such groups and externally.
7. Other projects necessary to accomplish our aims.
1. Holding central seminars, branch seminars, general meetings, lectures and symposiums.
2. Investigating and researching into the physical strength test and class assessment data.
3. Providing an educational research grant program and a grant program for holding workshops.
4. Offering awards for physical education at university level; giving recognition through honorable mention; and bestowing the faculty development advanced award for university sports and physical education.
5. Publishing the bulletin The University Physical Education and Sports.
6. Publishing the educational research journal The Science of University Physical Education and Sports.
7. Publishing sports teaching materials.
8. Offering information about seminars and symposiums, announcing research grants and public commendations, reporting on our activities and publications, advertising for teaching staff and so on through our website.
9. Providing information about seminars, symposiums, announcing research grants and public commendations, and advertising for teaching staff and so on, and exchanging information between members through e-mail circulars.
Yuichiro Anzai (Chairman of Japan Society for the promotion of science・Former President of Keio University)
Vice President ：
Kaoru Kitagawa (Executive Advisor for Academic Affairs, Umemura Educational Institutions・Professor of Chukyo University)
Katsunori Kobayashi (Professor of Bunkyo University)
Inquiry & Research
Edit & publish
Editorial Board for “The University Physical Education & Sports”
Special Committee for the Support of Extracurricular Activities
Special Steering Committee for Organizational Management
Committee for Restoration Support Projects